What qualification should a Supervisor have?
A. All Supervisors must have a valid teaching Diploma or Degree and must be registered with SACE (South African Council of Educators).

Q. Must my school be registered with the Department of Education?
A. Yes, your school has to be registered with the department.

Q. Must Monitors have a matric certificate?
A. While monitors do not need a teaching qualification, it is advisable but not compulsory for a monitor to have a Grade 12 qualification and a good command of the English language.

Q. What does it cost to register a Full School?
A. At present (2014) R7470-00, this amount includes an Administration fee, a resource kit and Administrators’ training for 2 people – the Principal and either the Administrator or Pastor.  This course takes place in Durban.

Q. Can a Pastor be a Principal of a school?
A. No, not unless he/she is a SACE registered teacher with a teacher’s qualification which is the minimum qualification for a principal of a school.

Q. Must the Principal and Administrator attend training in Durban?
A. Yes, it is compulsory for the Principal and Administrator/Pastor to attend training in Durban. All other staff can be trained in their own province if training is being held there.

Q. Can I start my school without being trained?
A. No, A.C.E. South Africa will not register your school until training has taken place.

I have a problem with the school my child is in and I am not happy with the way my problem has been handled.  What should I do?:
A. Please contact the Area Manager for your school and if that fails then you may email our Customer Relations Department: info@aceyoureducation.co.za.

Home Schooling


Q. How do I go about registering a home school with A.C.E.?
Arrange a visit to one of our Home School Academies (contact details are available through our registrations department). They will provide you with the necessary information for registering a home school and will submit your application to the A.C.E. National office.

Q. Do I have to work through a Home School Academy?
A. Yes, this is a requirement.  

The benefits of home educators being linked to a Home School Academy or Host School:

• Access to sound advice and assistance from professionally trained experts in the use of the A.C.E. Programme.
• Parents are empowered and trained to fully utilise the strengths of the A.C.E. Programme.
• Quarterly monitoring of the quality of home education ensures that students’ education remains on track.
• Access to the latest information in the field of education relevant to home schooling.
• Involvement in activities such as fieldtrips, sport and prize-giving, allows for socialising with other home educators and the development of students’ talents.
• The opportunity to receive graduation certificates from A.C.E. (S.A.) when all requirements have been met.

All these aspects make it possible for parents to home school with confidence, knowing that they are part of a support structure that has the best interests of their children at heart.

Q. What are the requirements to start a home school?
A. A Completed application form (obtainable from Home Education Academy), signed and witnessed Standard Service Agreement (obtainable from Home Education Academy), letter of release from previous school and transfer card.


Q. What are the cost implications?


Q. Do I have to be a trained teacher to home school my children?
A. No, the only qualification you require is to be committed to, and have abundant love for, the children the Lord has blessed you with. The law stipulates a condition in the Schools Act, that you must be the child’s parent. A Math or Science tutor might have to be considered if you are not qualified in that area.

Registration with the Department of Education

Q. Do I have to obtain permission to home school my child?
A. Yes, according to the South African Schools Act (No. 84 of 1996) a parent can apply to provide home education for their own child in their own home. Application must be made to the local provincial education department in order to register a home school, for the year in which the learner is seven years of age and continues to do so for each phase until the end of the year in which the learner turns fifteen, or completes grade 9, whichever comes first. You will need to motivate your request for home education, in writing and obtain written consent from your Department of Education.   

Q. Can I home school other children beside my own?
No, you have to home school your own child in your own home, you may make use of a tutor in your own home.  

Q. What about fostered or adopted children?
A. You can home school them provided that you have proof of them being adopted or fostered. This proof must accompany your application to A.C.E. (S.A.).

Q. Will A.C.E. allow me to register with them if I don’t want to register with the DoE?
A. It is the parents’ responsibility to register their child for home education with the Department of Basic Education in their province and A.C.E. (S.A.) will require that your sign a disclaimer acknowledging that responsibility.

Grade 12 and Graduation

Q. Will my child have to write Matric (Senior Certificate) Examinations to apply to South African tertiary institutions?
A. No, learners on the A.C.E. Programme who wish to go to a South African university have currently 2 options to choose from. They can either write the National Senior Certificate examination or complete all the required course work for an A.C.E. College Entrance Certificate issued by A.C.E. South Africa. Both qualifications are registered with the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). Most universities will also require applicants to write additional entrance tests such as the National Benchmark Test (NBT) as part of the admission process. Please note that there is no guarantee that a particular university or faculty will accept an A.C.E. applicant or any other Grade 12 applicant (regardless of the certificate presented) due to limited space and national quotas that are prescribed by Government.

Graduates applying with a College Entrance Certificate to universities in South Africa must do so by following the Tertiary Study Liaison process that A.C.E. (S.A.) has instituted. If they encounter any challenges, the Tertiary Liaison Department at A.C.E. (S.A.) will be available to assist.

Q. What is the S.A.T.?
The S.A.T. (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is designed to measure a student’s academic ability to perform college work. It is a benchmark moderation test for A.C.E. (S.A.) in terms of issuing College Entrance Certificates as well as a university requirement. For information regarding SAT, log onto  www.collegeboard.com  (Please be advised to register well in advance.)

Q. Do I have to have special equipment?
a. Computers will certainly be a great help, but the A.C.E. Programme is paper-based and computers are therefore not essential.

A DVD player will also be very helpful, particularly when the student reaches PACE 1097, as Science, Math, Spanish and Biology all include one or two DVDs per PACE at this level. These DVDs make the purchase of expensive laboratory equipment unnecessary as experiments are carried out on the DVDs.

Q. Are South African tertiary institutions accepting A.C.E. graduates?
A. Yes, majority of institutions accept A.C.E. graduates.

Q. Can I change my
Home School Academy because I am moving?
A. Yes you can, this must be arranged with your existing
Home Education Academy. Please contact them directly in this regard. They will be able to assist you with this process.

Q.  I am unhappy with my
Home Education Academy.  What should I do?
A. Please email us and we will forward it to the homHome Education Manager at A.C.E. (S.A.).

Q.  Must I order materials through my Home Education Academy?
A. Each Home Education Academy has their own policy when it comes to orders and home schools must refer to their Home Education Academy in this regard. If you have a problem with this, please email us and we will forward your message on to the Home Education Manager at A.C.E. (S.A.).

Q. I am no longer home schooling.  How do I deregister?
A. Please contact your
Home Education Academy and they will assist you with this.

Questions and Answers from past Accelerators

Q. Does A.C.E. set the financial policies for schools using the A.C.E. Programme?
A. As with all independent/private schools registered with the Department of Education, the schools that use the A.C.E. Programme of learning set their own financial policies and therefore, these may vary from school to school. Parents are advised to carefully read the school’s financial policy to ensure they are able to maintain this contract with the school.

Q. Does A.C.E. set the fees payable by learners?
A. No, A.C.E. does not set the fees payable; as an independent school, each school will set their own fees. One must remember that private schools, also known as independent schools or non-state schools, are not administered by local, state or national governments; thus, they retain the right to select their students and are funded in whole or in part by charging their students tuition, rather than relying on public (government) funding. This means that for many of the schools using the A.C.E. system their only source of income is their school fees.

Q. Can a learner be excluded from a school if fees are not paid?
A. An independent school has the right to exclude learners when fees are not paid, because the parents have broken the legal contract to pay fees. Best practice dictates that adequate warning must be given. Schools use this as a last resort especially when the very existence of a school is threatened due to the lack of payment of school fees. Note: The state is obligated to provide compulsory education for citizens of the country. Parents are required by law to send their children to school from grade 1 to 9, or 7-15 years of age. Parents may choose to educate their child at an independent school, but the independent school does not carry the constitutional obligation to provide education during the compulsory period. The education provided by the independent school is governed by a contractual relationship contained in the signed contract, not a constitutional obligation.

Q. How often should schools be in touch with their Provincial Education Departments?
A. Provincial Education Departments organise Principals meetings and at times in-service (one day) workshops. Principals should do their best to attend these or at least have a representative from the school at such meetings. Relationships with the PED's are important and often the information they give is valuable and necessary.

Q. When should our senior learners start preparing for the All Africa Student Convention?
A. Goal-setting is part of the backbone of A.C.E. Learners should set their goals for the AASC at the beginning of each year and then set aside time weekly to prepare and work on their possible events. Schools should appoint at least one staff member to assist and guide learners from February onwards. Monthly accountability meetings should be held by staff with their prospective AASC attendees. Some schools have made AASC part of their timetable and allocate periods every week for the learners to work on/practise their AASC events.

Q. Why is it that when a learner leaves the A.C.E. system and goes to a government school, it sometimes seems that they are behind in their work?
A. First, when learners are enrolled at a school using the A.C.E. Programme, they are required to complete a diagnostic test. This test identifies any gaps in the learner’s learning. The first few months at the school will be spent filling any gaps that may have developed at the previous school. If a learner leaves before these gaps are filled, they may well seem to be behind. Once the gaps are filled, the learner is in a position to accelerate by building on a firm foundation. Second, the A.C.E. Programme is based on the learner mastering concepts. He/she may therefore be covering a large portion of algebra and then geometry, for example. Another school may be covering a small portion of each. It is advisable to plan for a student to stay in the A.C.E. system for at least 3 years before moving out to a new school. There are often times that the learner who has attended a school using the A.C.E. Programme is actually ahead in certain subjects, but because the new system is not a PACE system, it is not possible to establish this, and they will find that during the class teachings, they have already covered certain areas which are being taught. Many students who have transferred to other towns or cities where there is not a school using the A.C.E. system have adapted well to their new environment.